Monday, February 10, 2014

The village idiot of Las Vegas tells Roxy he loves her.

"Two cars parked on the overpass. Rocks hit the water like broken glass. I should have known right then that it was too good to last. God, it's such a drag when you're living in the past. Baby, even the losers get lucky sometimes. Even the losers keep a little bit of pride.... They get lucky sometimes."

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Even the Losers


"Jethro, don't you dare use that word with me! I do not share your feelings one bit! Don't use that fucking word!" Geez, you would have thought I shot the pope by the way she reacted. All I did was tell her I love her. I had been wanting to say it to her for a while, but had just now worked up the nerves. She took it a lot different than I expected -"I am sorry Roxy, I don't want you to be mad at me," I quip cautiously, "I just needed to tell you how I felt. I can't help it. I love you. It's a matter of the heart."

Telling her how I felt was a weight off my shoulders, I was praying she would feel the same way about me, as usual - I was wrong. "Jethro," she says forcefully, "Why are you trying to fuck things up? Don't tell me you love me! Don't say that to me! You have no idea what the hell you're talking about. Look, I am going back to California tomorrow. I want you to leave me alone. If I want to talk, I will call you - Fair enough?" Why does she have to be so guarded? All I did was tell her I love her. It's not like I asked her to marry me.

I ask one more question before she hangs up - "Roxy, do you think there will ever be a time when the two of us could be together? I think about that day and it makes me smile." I hear a deep sigh on the other end of the phone after my question, and then she says - "Jethro, you are so fucking adorable. If being adorable was all I needed from a guy - we would be together and I would never think about anyone else. But the problem is. And I say this with all the sincerity in the world. You lack all the other skills required to keep a women like me happy."

No comments:

Post a Comment