Friday, February 28, 2014

The village idiot of Las Vegas gets advice about women from a street philosopher.

Both of my roommates are recovering alcoholics. So whenever I want to drink a beer, out of respect for them, I leave the apartment and walk over to the corner of Harmon and Jones. I guess you could call it my unofficial hang out. There's a rock wall that provides a comfortable place to sit and  nobody seems to mind me drinking. (I am very discreet about it) - Anyways - last night I was sitting in my spot nursing a 24 ounce when a street friend of mine walked up and asked me this. "Why the long face my friend? You look like someone just ran over your dog." I look up from my beer and tell him this. "Women problems buddy, I am in love with this girl and I think she loves me too. But the forces of the universe are keeping us apart."

Delbert is my friends name. We've run into each other a few times around the neighborhood. After my admission, he says this to me - "Join the club buddy, I lost my job a few months ago and since then my old lady and I have barely spoken to each other. The only friend I got left in this world is my dog. I tell you what, why don't you give me one of those beers and we'll talk about it." The unwritten rule of the street is if you have extra you share. I had five beers, so I happily gave him one. He thanked me and asked this. "Friend, do you love this girl sincerely?" I nodded my head and told him yes. He then asked this, "Does this girl love you sincerely?" I thought about his question for a moment and said, "I think she loves me more than she knows. I believe she is scared of loving anyone too much. I can't get her off my mind and it's killing me."

Street philosopher's are a dime a dozen in Las Vegas - so generally when one of them tells me something - I'm polite about listening. But for the most part, well, it tends to go in one ear and out the other. But Delbert said a few things next that managed to stick in my craw. "You have fallen in love with a Vegas girl. Haven't you?" I nodded yes. He then asked if she was involved with another guy. I nodded my head yes again. He then says this, "My friend, you need to forget about this girl. She is not good for you. I can tell by the look in your face that she is causing you much anguish. And if you're not careful, this women will put you in your grave long before your intended time." Jeez, I was expecting more along the lines of "hang in there" or "if it's meant to be, it's meant to be." Not the case at all. He then adds this to our conversation. "The women of Las Vegas are femme fatales, brother. It's like playing with a loaded gun when you fall in love with one of them! Get out while your soul is still intact!"

After his statement, he promptly chugs the rest of the beer I had given him. He then asks if he can have another. I give it to him. He then says this, "You're a good man. You told me that your from Kansas a while back. Is that right?" I was impressed he remembered. Anyways, I told him he was correct. He then tells me this, "Kansas man - Las Vegas women are like an addiction. A terrible addiction. Once they get a hold of you, it's nearly impossible to escape their clutches." He then chugs the whole 24 ounce beer I had just given him without flinching. After he's through, he tells me that he has to be somewhere and requests another beer for the road. I give it to him. As he's walking away he turns back to me and says, "It was nice seeing you again Kansas man. Just remember what I told you about the women in Las Vegas being an addiction. Be careful my friend!"



3 comments:

  1. Hey dummy where have u been? Phone DC? I lost mine a the El Cortez. Its ur old buddy James. E mail at Jamesmax22@gmail.com. if u get this message homey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. James got a new phone number, sent you an email.

    ReplyDelete